Sunday, June 12, 2011

Big Finish Day

I went to 'Big Finish Day' on Saturday in Barking and had a thoroughly enjoyable time.

A fine turn out of Big Finish folks ranging across the whole 'family' of those involved.

I got to spend some money - to much for my bank balance and probably not enough from Big Finish's point of view - and get some bits and bobs signed. It was nice to be reminded that a lot of the people involved in Big Finish (and Doctor Who itself) are actually quite nice and friendly.

Colin Baker was on fine form and helped Lisa Greenwood (aka Flip, who is Big Finish's new 6th Doctor Companion) settle in. It must be something of a culture shock for an actor to be confronted with the realization of what even a small scale Doctor Who event is like.

I bought Nev Fountain's "Geek Tragedy". The first of the Mervyn Stone Mysteries, which is a comedy murder-mystery set in and around the world of a science-fiction convention. I've just finished it this evening and enjoyed it - even if I occasionally wince with a pained recollection at the description of fandom. I shall be buying the two subsequent books as and when I have some cash.

I'd also recommend 'Love Songs For The Shy and Cynical', which is Rob Shearman's second volume of short stories. They're often quite dark but well-written and thoughtful. Rob Shearman is a friendly chap and like a few others, I'm now geekily proud to have a little Dalek sketch autograph from him.

It did dawn on me that as geeks go I'm shockingly disorganised. I was surrounded by people with their CD and DVD covers pre-removed labeled and ready for signing. All impressively prepared. I suspect these are people who go to more conventions/events than me. I don't mock this. Worryingly I'd have done something similar if I'd thought of it.

They also seemed to feel less guilty than me about flitting from room to room like an autograph collecting butterfly. I know that's one of the purposes of these events but I always feel mildly guilty just asking for an autograph and having nothing to say. At least I did get to tell Marc Platt how much I liked Ghost Light.

Andrew Smith was another nice chap to talk to and didn't seem to mind me waffling on a bit; Miles Richardson - the owner of a fine mustache for the purposes of a part - was not impressed with facial hair in general; Sophie Aldred bought out late-teenage geek flashbacks in me; Beth Chalmers was very patient as I ineptly fished out CD covers for her to sign; Gary Russell convinced me that 'Blue Box Boy' by Matthew Waterhouse might be worth reading and Colin Baker is convinced Wycombe Wanderers will stay up next season.

There's not much more to add really. I did speak to Luke aka the Two Minute Doctor Who Podcast(both on and off microphone) who seems a friendly chap and we talked about the profusion of Doctor Who podcasts. He has recommeded the Ood Cast, which I've been umming and ahhing about listening to recently as it seems to be much recommended. I shall give it a spin.

A good day and if Big Finish does another I shall probably come along. This time with all my CD and DVD covers ready prepared and my old Sophie Aldred signed photo, which has faded over time, so I can get her to re-sign it.

After a long time being a solo geek my Doctor Who fandom is starting to become a social thing again, which is nice. I've missed being able to have discussions with people about my theories on The Master (he's rubbish, it's a game with the Doctor, etc), why I love certain stories and other conversations that no one but the 'we' wishes to have and that - as much as the hob-nobbing with the great and the good - was a nice part of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment